Sunday, July 27, 2008

Church History Sites

It has taken me a whole week, but I'm finally back! Last week we dropped Mark off to begin his 28 mile pioneer trek with the youth, then my family and I headed to visit Martin's Cove. This is where over 500 Mormon emmigrants found shelter from a winter storm during their migration west. We pulled a handcart for a mile, stopped for lunch, then we hiked another mile into the cove. It was a long, hot day, but we had so much fun and I gained a greater appreciation for the pioneers, especially those who travelled with young children.

Gavin loved riding in the handcart.
Megan was a little trooper!
My sister-in-law Jenny took this picture and I thought it was so beautiful! The pioneers could only bring 17 pounds with them in a handcart this size. I can't even imagine condensing my belongings down to that size!
The pioneers crossed the freezing Sweetwater River at at least 6 times in October 1856. We had the luxury of shoes, plenty of food, and 95 degree weather.

I am so grateful for my early ancestors who sacrificed so much because of their faith in God and their willingness to obey a living prophet.

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I am so glad you got to do this! What a fun experience.

Hey, are you ever gonna call me? I am starting to worry I offended you or something!

Hope you are doing okay!

Ryan and Melissa said...

Way cute pictures! It looks like you had a fun time with your family. What a great experience.

jmholloway said...

Ok girly, where did you go? I am aching for an update of your precious family. What is going on with all of you? I wish we all lived closer to do fun things together.

Mindi :)

shay said...

What an adventure! It would be fun, really makes us appreciate the pioneers!